Saturday, February 14, 2004

Elliot to go to Federalist Convention
Sometimes when I'm home I feel like I am going back to early childhood. My room hasn't changed since kindergarden - my sports penates are still on the wall, and the house is still filled with tacky 90s wall paper which was once avant garde, but now is sorely in need of replacement. All that's missing of course is my two younger brothers, but that is another story for another time.

One of the nice things about being at home is the chance to recover in peace with family and old friends. Sure the weather sucks, but that same constantly nervous energy that is everywhere in Northern California is just not present here. The slower pace is definitely helping me heal, and I'm ready to get out of here on Friday. But I am not going straight back to California. I checked ticket prices and found out that I could get to Nashville much cheaper (surprise!) from Cleveland than San Jose. Why Nashville? Well it's the location of this year's Federalist Convention, the often demonized but never duplicated society whose main purpose is to prevent our courts from reverting into a mini (or not so mini) legislature. I was originally hesitant to go because it was too expensive from California and Tai wouldn't pay to come along. Being newly single and in Ohio for the week erased both concerns. So my goal this time around is to go to the convention, watch all my friends get plastered, and maybe meet a cool person or two from a different school. So if any of you readers are off to the convention as well, let me know. I'll introduce you to some Stanfordites, and maybe we'll all grab a drink.

No comments: