Tuesday, March 16, 2004

This is Not a Joke: UPDATE - Actually it was
UPDATE One of my friends just emailed me and let me know that I fell for a gag - the Phil Hendrie show is not real. One guy does all the voice acting, so he was impersonating the guy . Since I tuned in halfway through the show, I had no way of knowing this.
I love the feeling of egg all over my face......


I was driving to get groceries in Mountain View, California when I turned on the radio to 910 AM, for the Phil Henry (I put Pat Henry originally - sorry) show. I never had listened to him before, but he had on a guy named Dean Wheeler (sp?) from the Northern California Peace Symposium (couldn't find it on google). The two of them were talking about the terrorist attacks, and Wheeler had what I hope is a peculiar point of view - He is urging Al Queda to attack the United States sometime before the election so that the American Public can wake up (as the Spanish Public did) and see the disastrous policies of George Bush. This one time strike that he is calling for would hopefully not lead to a great loss of life, could be mostly symbolic, and he believes would lead to Kerry becoming the 44th President of the United States. Once Kerry is in office, Wheeler knows that the new president will take the first real step to making our country safer by sitting across from representatives from Al Queda at the bargaining table and try to reach a consensual agreement that would remove the danger from our country.

Message to Wheeler - First off, a terrorist attack on the United States is not likely to have the same effect as Spain. Unlike the U.S. the populace of Spain was never in favor of the war. Second, Al Queda will not be satisfied with us leaving the war - they want us under Sharia, the strict code of Islamic law that is anathema to our society - ever wondered why the countries hit the worst by terrorist attacks were Muslim? Finally, your position absolutely disgusts me. To hope that our country could have our electoral results dictated by fear of foreign powers would be to wish for setting a precedent that the American public can be intimidated - so long as the force at question is sufficient. Under this precedent, every terrorist or criminal group in the world would redouble their efforts to achieve WMDs, knowing that our country could be blackmailed to their whims.

Mr. Wheeler - for narrow ideological orthodoxy and partisan gain you would sacrifice the lives of your fellow citizens to make us less safe. I hope your limousine liberalism gets a clue one day. If you need one, feel free to drive down to Stanford Law School. My friends and I would be happy to educate you.

PS - I am in fact question your patriotism. And your intelligence.

No comments: