Friday, July 30, 2004

II. Issues Where I Agree With Nader
a) Equal Rights for Gays and Lesbians

(Back to Nader Table of Contents)

Ralph supports equal rights for gays and lesbians, including equal rights for same-sex couples. He opposes President Bush’s proposed constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriages as adults should be treated equally under the law on this matter. Ralph believes that by attempting to mandate inequality Mr. Bush is leading the country in the wrong direction.

Thanks to the strong influence of thinkers such as Andrew and Kathleen Sullivan, I agree wholeheartedly with Ralph Nader on this issue. I am not saying that I am homosexual, or that I approve of it (the first is not true, the second is irrelevant), but rather that what goes on in the bedroom of grown adults is none of my business, nor the states business. Getting married by the state is not the same as being married by an imam, rabbi, or priest. If the state wants to be involved in marriage, fine, but leave the door open to all, regardless of their sexual preference.

(Next Topic - Ending the Drug War)

No comments: