Friday, February 11, 2005

Vagina Monologues
Went to see it at the urging of my friend Melanie last night who was in the cast. I sat next to Rybicki who told me that at the end of the show, I would have a conversion to believing the need for prior restraints. Well, that didn't happen - the repeated mentioning of vagina/menstrual cycle did not offend me.

What it did do was bore me. Honestly, there are only so many "if your vagina could talk, what would it say" lines that one can take in a two hour sitting - even if you are vaginaless like David and I. Eventually, even the risqueness of the "v-word" can't save the show from monotany.

Making matters worse, the show tried to equate our collateral bombing damage in Iraq with men who purposely acid burn promisicous female family members. Oh well - what else can you expect from feminist and gender studies students?

No comments: